I am very excited to announce a new collaboration between The National Certification Council for Activity Professionals (NCCAP) and Brush Development Company. We have have partnered to offer health care professionals a Montessori for Dementia Engagement Certification.
The Montessori for Dementia Engagement Certification curriculum provides a thorough introduction to using Montessori with elders and people living with dementia. It is open to all healthcare professionals who work in the field of aging such as activity professionals, nurses, nursing assistants, home care aides, rehabilitation professionals and social workers who would like to learn the Montessori philosophy. One does not have to be a current member of NCCAP to apply. The educational content focuses on engaging individuals in person-centered activities that have meaning and purpose for an improved quality of life. This is not a certification to become a trainer or an educator. Following are the required “Qualifying Components” to obtain NCCAP’s Montessori for Dementia Engagement Certification:
Montessori for Dementia Engagement Certification Qualifying Components
- Academic Education. High School/GED or higher.
- Activity Experience. 4000 hours over 2 years engaging with people living with dementia. (Note: any current NCCAP Certification qualifies for this Activity Experience).
- Continuing Education (CE). 20 hours of CE on dementia-related topics from the NCCAP Body of Knowledge.
- Required Curriculum. Successful completion of the “From Can’t to Can Do!: Using the Montessori Approach” curriculum and exam. This course is offered online from Brush Development Company.
- The first year of Certification is included in the $199 fee for the online “From Can’t to Can Do!: Using the Montessori Approach” course, as long as all other Certification requirements are met by the individual. Application for the certification is available through NCCAP.
- Certification is good for 1 year and must be renewed annually for $30. Certification Renewal requires 10 Continuing Education clock hours on dementia-related topics from the NCCAP Body of Knowledge.
This is a wonderful opportunity to learn more about Montessori for Aging and Dementia and improve the programming you offer to elders with dementia.