Online Montessori Course
Redesigning Dementia Care So Everyone Flourishes
Caring for individuals living with dementia can pose challenges for everyone concerned.
The problematic behaviors that are the hallmark of dementia often lead to frustration, upset, and chaos in relationships and in the caregiving environment — and stressed-out, overworked, exhausted care partners.
There is a better way.
Formerly only available by personal consultation or at live workshops, renowned dementia care expert Jennifer Brush has made her groundbreaking Montessori for Aging and Dementia methods available to you in this online course.
This comprehensive 12 week course is available 100% online, at a fraction of the cost of hiring Jennifer personally. You will receive access to over 20 videos, useful handouts and implementation activities that walk you through an easy and transformative 12-week program to get real results. Although most students prefer to complete one short lesson a week, since this is a self-paced program, you can sign up at any time and go through it at your own speed. Students have access to all of the material from day one. This course meets the requirements for a Certification of Completion from Associate Montessori International (AMI) and qualifies students to take the AMI Practitioner Certification Course. It is offered for .95 ASHA and 10 NCCAP CEUs. Once you purchase the course, you will have 3 months to complete it.
Each segment is carefully designed to give you simple, actionable solutions you can implement today and dramatically improve your experience of caring for individuals living with dementia.
As you skillfully and compassionately put to use what you learn in this course, you’ll see the behavior of those you’re caring for transform — and your own role become much easier and more fulfilling.
After purchasing this course, you will have 3 months to access the material.
Inside the course you’ll:
- Understand the real reason why elders become depressed, exit seek, and walk about — and learn the exact steps you can take to prevent these behaviors from happening (instead of simply trying to “manage” them)
- Discover a powerful (and little-known) approach to dementia care that will totally change your perspective on aging and dementia
- Learn the first thing you should do to create a sense of community between staff and residents (it’s not what you think)
- Create an engaging life enrichment program (appropriate for people at a variety of cognitive levels) in a way that transforms the culture of a long-term care center and ultimately frees up staff time dramatically
- Learn the process for changing a ho-hum activity program into a dynamic and engaging person-centered program that keeps people interested and has them coming back for more
- Successfully reduce or eliminate the repetitive questioning behaviors that so often characterize those living with cognitive impairment
- Start using a simple tool for helping people with cognitive impairment participate in meaningful conversations, leading to an improved situation for both the care partner and the person with dementia
- Identify the mistakes almost everyone unknowingly makes in wayfinding and signage, leading to confusion and discord — and find out how to correct them
- Develop the skills to effectively communicate with people with dementia, so they easily understand what you are trying to convey
- Discover how to help people with dementia learn new or previously known information. Yes, people with cognitive impairment can learn and retain new information! We’ll show you how, step by step.
…and much more
We’ve made learning easy and convenient in an online format that gives you lots of flexibility.
You’ll watch engaging footage from a previously-recorded live training session — no bland talking heads or boring recorded PowerPoint presentations.
Students love the way Jennifer understands their daily challenges of being a care partner or clinician. She has done it all — research, clinical work and personal caregiving. Inside these videos, you’ll benefit from her interaction with audience participants.
It’s like being personally trained by one of the world’s TOP dementia care experts — without ever having to leave the comfort of your own home or office!
Group Discounts available for 10 or more. Contact us to set up your account.
Want to complete further study after the online course?
After passing the self-paced online class, students can enroll in the 6 month Practitioner Certification Course, an international certification open to care partners, health care professionals and Montessori educators who want to complete an in-depth study in order to apply the principles of Montessori to elders. Jennifer Brush and Margaret Jarrell (a certified Montessori teacher and AMI Auxilliary Trainer) teach the certification program live online once a month for six months and mentor students through the certification requirements (case studies, readings, practical application, materials making, class participation, exam and essay). Those who successfully complete all of the course requirements receive certification from Brush Development as a Montessori Elder Care Practitioner. Students who are enrolling in the class after taking an in-person workshop are eligible for an additional certification from Association Montessori Internationale (contact us for more information).
The next certification classes begin July 2020 and meets the last Tuesday of the month at 7:30 PM EST for US students. If we have enough interest from students in other countries, we always schedule a second class that is more convenient for your time zone. Please check with us to confirm current class times. You can register for the Practitioner Certificate Course through our shopping cart.
It is not a certification for working as a trainer/educator. Interested in learning more? Use the contact us link and we will be happy to send you more information.